I am a chartered marketer with more than 20 years’ experience of working with clients including Hilton, Royal Mail, Panasonic, and the University of Cambridge.
My career in marketing started ‘web first’, managing content and building online communities. I helped many businesses to produce their first websites. For most of my agency-side career, I worked for Hilton, planning and managing complex multimedia, multi-site promotional campaigns for its national and international chain of health clubs. In 2007 I switched to become a client-side marketer, joining a new business operating in the newly liberalised postal marketplace. With my support, the business’s annual sales rocketed from £3 million to £60 million over the next five years.
Today, I run a successful marketing consultancy, providing marketing advice, practical hands-on support, and training.
I call myself a T-Shaped Marketer – which means I have both broad marketing experience and I’m a specialist in the use of social media for business.
In 2017, my book ‘Relax! It’s Only Social Media’ won a National Indie Excellence Award and has so far reached number 2 in the Amazon bestseller charts.
The social media planner is listed by the Independent online as one of the 9 best books for entrepreneurs.
More about me…
- I am a Sheffield Business School BA (Hons) graduate (1999) with postgraduate diplomas from the Institute of Direct & Digital Marketing (2001) and Institute of Promotional Marketing (2005). I also hold the CAM Award for Digital Marketing Planning (2012).
- LinkedIn recognised me as one of the top 5 female marketers in the UK for their #LinkedInBestConnected social campaign (March 2015). I am now a course instructor for Lynda.com, LinkedIn’s online education company.
- I am in the 2015 class of Insider Magazine’s South West 42 under 42. This annual programme recognises some of the South West’s most dynamic and inspirational young entrepreneurs and celebrates their success in helping to grow the regional economy.
- In April 2012 I was nominated one of the UK’s Top 50 creative freelancers by The Drum magazine (a listing unfortunately not repeated since 2012).
- I am a member of the GFirstLEP Business and Professional Services Sector Group.
- I am an active ambassador for IPSE, The Association of Independent Professionals and the Self Employed.
- I am an accredited social media trainer for the Enterprise Nation / Facebook #SheMeansBusiness campaign.
- I am a Google Coach for the Digital Garage initiative.
- I served as a board trustee for the Communication, Advertising and Marketing (CAM) Education Foundation – a charity that is 100% subsidiary of the Chartered Institute of Marketing, 2015-2019.
- I served as Chair for Gloucestershire and vice-chair of the South West Regional Board for the Chartered Institute of Marketing, 2012-2017.
- I served on the West & Wales regional council of the Direct Marketing Association (DMA), 2011-2016.
- I served as part of the management committee for Read Easy Cheltenham & Gloucester, 2016-2018. Read Easy UK is a national registered charity offering a one-to-one reading tuition programme for adults who cannot read or who struggle with reading.